Electrical Safety Audit
Electrical Safety Audit is carried out to evaluate the standard of electrical safety in the organization, to verify the compliance of statutes such as I.E. Rules and other IS Specifications and to examine the safety procedure in maintenance & operations.
The broad scope of the audit will include
- Electrical layout in the plant (General arrangement of power supply and distribution in the plant)
- Physical inspection of the plant on sample basis. Identify electrical hazards (shock, fire, explosion, overloading) and to suggest electrical safety solutions.
- Review of the following,
- Plant lightning protection system (need, adequacy, installation and maintenance)
- Static electricity hazards in the plant operations
- Portable process equipment’s.
- Hazardous area classification and selection of flameproof electrical equipment in the plant, including maintenance aspects and Flameproof / weatherproof protection.
- Electrical preventive maintenance system (including tests, documentation, history cards etc.).
- Electrical accidents and near misses in the plant to identify the root causes. All Potential Electrical Hazards that involves Personnel, Electrical Systems, Electrical Installations, Services and Operations.
- Electrical systems & procedures (work permits, interlocks, lockout tags etc.). Compliance of Electrical Systems and Electrical Installations and Maintenance Practices in Line with Statutory Regulations.
- Earthing system (installation & maintenance aspects), including sample earth resistance tests
- Protection devices / system of the electrical installation.
- Checks for the following,
- Healthiness of Protection Devices/ System. Testing and Certification of HT/LT Protective relays for Electrical Installations.
- Healthiness/Aging of Electrical Installations in plant,
- Healthiness of Transformers, Electrical Panels and DG Panels
- Check operation of ELCBs for PDBs and Surge Protection Device for Critical Installations.
- Operation and Healthiness of UPS and batteries
- Operation and healthiness of Fire Protection system
- Assessing the integrity of insulation of cables by carrying out insulation resistance tests on a sample basis.
- To identify areas of overloading by carrying out load current measurements and compared against cable current carrying capacity calculation.
- Assess Requirement of Passive Fire Protection System like Cable Pass Sealant.
- Verification of statutory compliance with respect to Central Electricity Authority / Indian Electricity Rules.
- PPE and First Aid (Type and condition of PPE, first-aid facilities during electric shocks)
- Contractor’s safety while carrying out electrical arc welding, using portable tools etc.
- Training Program on Electrical Safety (such as electrical hazards and their control, preventing fires due to electrical faults etc.)